We do not sell to residents of locations where hedgehogs are illegal. These locations include:
California Georgia Hawaii Pennsylvania The 5 boroughs of New York
We guarantee that all hedgehogs sold by us are free from any known and undisclosed illnesses or defects.
We provide our buyers with lifetime support for their hedgehog. We offer many years of experience and are happy to answer questions and assist with nearly all situations.
All buyers are required to have their new hedgehog examined by a licensed veterinarian who is experienced with hedgehogs within 5 business days of the date of purchase. Failing to do so will nullify any/all guarantees.
- In the unlikely event that a hedgehog sold by us is found to have a life-threatening congenital defect or WHS, he/she will be replaced with a hedgehog of equal value (based on current age) as soon as one is available and once we have received the original hedgehog and documentation from the veterinarian confirming such a diagnosis. We reserve the right to a conference with the veterinarian for confirmation. We reserve the right to a second opinion, at our expense. Replacement does not include shipping cost.
- In the unlikely event that a hedgehog sold by us should die from causes other than geriatric related illness, the buyer is expected to have a licensed veterinarian, who is experienced with hedgehogs, perform a necropsy to determine the cause of death. If it is determined that the cause of death was a congenital defect or WHS, we will replace him/her with a hedgehog of equal value (based on age at time of death) as soon as one is available and once we have received the necropsy report and any other accompanying documentation from the veterinarian, confirming cause of death. We reserve the right to a conference with the veterinarian for confirmation. We reserve the right to a second opinion, at our expense. Replacement does not include shipping cost.
- We make no guarantees regarding cancers of any type beyond 6 months from the purchase date. Within 6 months from the purchase date if a hedgehog is diagnosed with cancer, he/she will be replaced with a hedgehog of equal value (based on current age) as soon as one is available and once we have received the original hedgehog and documentation from the veterinarian confirming such a diagnosis. We reserve the right to a conference with the veterinarian for confirmation. We reserve the right to a second opinion, at our expense. Replacement does not include shipping cost.
- Many cancers are caused by poor environment, poor diet, and poor hygiene. Any hedgehog diagnosed with cancer after 6 months from the purchase date will not be replaced.
We reserve the right to request that your veterinarian consult with Dr. Terry Spraker, DVM, Ph.D. regarding proper diagnosing of WHS.
PLEASE NOTE: No replacement will be given without documentation of the illness/death by a licensed veterinarian who is experienced with hedgehogs. If you are unable to have a necropsy performed, please contact us immediately about returning the remains to us so that we may have the necropsy performed; in which case no replacement will be given regardless of cause of death.
We are not responsible for any medical expenses except:
A conference with the veterinarian for confirmation.
A second opinion that is at our request.
A necropsy that we offer to have performed with no replacement hedgehog.
It is very important to notify the breeder when an animal dies from any condition that is known/suspected to be genetic or hereditary.
If a payment is sent and we (Hood Petz) later determine that the sale is not in the best interest of the hedgehog, the seller, or the buyer, the payment will be refunded in full. This refund is ONLY in the event that it is our sole decision to cancel the sale and that our decision was not based on deception on your part.
If you have completed our Contact Form and were deceptive about your age, your residence in a legal state, whether or not you currently own hedgehogs, your intentions regarding breeding, or who the actual intended owner of the hedgehog is/will be, we will not refund the full payment regardless of whether or not it was our sole decision. It is has been determined that you were deceptive when completing the contact form, the $50.00 deposit amount will be retained and the remainder will be refunded.
We consider failure to provide the hedgehog with the required temperatures of 75°F - 80°F, to be a form of abuse, which will nullify this guarantee.
We consider failure to offer a proper diet (consisting of LIVE insects a minimum of 2 days per week) to be a form of neglect, which will nullify this guarantee.
We will not replace any hedgehog that dies/becomes ill as a result of any form of neglect/abuse; including, but not limited to:
- The above mentioned temperature and dietary requirements
- Gastric or intestinal impaction caused from consuming freeze dried insects
- Allergic reaction of any type
- Broken bones, injuries, and the like
- Infections including but not limited to respiratory, skin, urinary, etc.
We discourage impulse buying of hedgehogs. If you've not researched hedgehogs, you're not prepared to care for one.
We discourage giving hedgehogs as a gift to a child. Owning a hedgehog is a responsibility and requires diligent feeding, cleaning, handling and monitoring to ensure that the needs of the animal are met.
We discourage buying multiple hedgehogs for multiple children. We strongly feel that 1 hedgehog can be an ideal pet for the whole family and having only 1 allows for sharing the responsibilities.
Our hedgehogs are sold as PETS ONLY. We will not sell hedgehogs for breeding. If a hedgehog sold by us is bred, whether accidental or intentional, any and all guarantees are null/void and we will initiate litigation for breach of contract and any/all damages.
A $50.00 deposit is required to reserve a hedgehog. If you have expressed interest in a hedgehog, it is NOT RESERVED unless/until you submit and we receive a deposit.
Deposits are non-refundable.
Once received, the $50.00 deposit amount is deducted from the total price.
By placing a deposit, you are agreeing to our policies.
Deposits can be paid in CASH person, online via PayPal (fee applies) or you can mail a money order.
When mailing a money order, the hedgehog is not reserved until the money order is received.
Once a deposit has been received, the hedgehog will be marked RESERVED for "Your Name".
No hedgehog will be picked up until any/all online payments or money orders have cleared.
If a hedgehog is being shipped, shipping will not take place nor be scheduled until payment in full for the hedgehog AND shipping is received and has cleared.
IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT PAYPAL PAYMENTS:
- A 5% fee is added to ALL PayPal payments.
- The deposit amount is $50.00 + 5% for a total of $52.50.
- If the remainder payment is $200.00 + 5% the total would be $210.00
- Payments sent using credit card, debit card, or PayPal balance are applied instantly.
- E-checks take several days to clear. If your pick-up/delivery is in less than 10 days, please DO NOT pay by e-check. If you send an E-check payment, the pick-up/delivery may have to be rescheduled which may result in added fees.
All visitors are by appointment only, NO drop-ins. Just like everyone else, we have medical appointments, trips to the grocery store, family functions, school functions, cleaning day, etc. Without scheduling an appointment, we do not allow visitors.
Our babies cannot receive visitors until they reach 6 weeks of age. We have a lot of time, money, and heart invested into our hedgehogs and we're not willing to compromise their health. We understand that they are tiny and cute before that age which is why we take photos as often as possible. We're happy to allow you to come meet them once they've reached 6 weeks of age.
If you've scheduled an appointment and you are unable to make it, please let us know! We've blocked off the scheduled time JUST FOR YOU and may have changed our own plans or turned away others to accommodate. Please be considerate and at least let us know that you cannot make it.
If you're going to be late, please let us know! If you've scheduled an appointment and you are going to be significantly late, please consider that it disrupts everything we have scheduled from that point on. We may have other buyers scheduled or perhaps it's near dinner time for our family. We understand that traffic can cause delays and we are pretty flexible but if it is going to disrupt our schedule by more than an hour, we prefer that you reschedule.
While in our home:
If you've chosen to bring your children to the appointment, we ask that you have them take a seat and be respectful of the conversation that the grown-ups are having. If we are unable to communicate because of the children, the appointment is not likely to end in a sale.
If you're interested in purchasing a hedgehog for your child please consider the following:
- Hedgehogs are NOT an ideal pet for small children. The quills ARE sharp and if the child gets stuck, they may drop or injure the hedgehog.
- Hedgehogs are easily startled by noise and movement. If your child is not calm, the hedgehog is not going to be very social.
- If your child is not likely to do the cleaning, are YOU willing to care for the hedgehog? Are you willing to pick it up and clean the enclosure? If not, please do not purchase a hedgehog.
- Has your child researched hedgehogs? Will he/she be able to recognize signs of illness or injury? If not, will you be willing to check on the hedgehog every day? If not, please do not purchase a hedgehog.
If you are in our home and handling a hedgehog, be aware that hedgehogs poop. If the hedgehog poops on you, we are more than happy to give you napkins, antibacterial hand gel, and access to our restroom to clean up. If the hedgehog poops on the floor or furniture, please either clean it up or bring it to my attention so that I may clean it up. Please do not just leave it or smear it in. I do my very best to offer a clean and presentable environment for appointments and it is appreciated if potential buyers do not make that task difficult.
When in our home, you'll notice a partition dividing the visitation room from other parts of our home. Please do not try to go around the partition and please keep your children from attempting to go around it. It is there for a purpose and we would appreciate your respect. I can assure you that there is nothing fascinating in other parts of our home... just dogs that will bark if they see you...which will prevent us from having a peaceful appointment.
If you have placed a deposit (or submitted a payment) and we contact you, whether via phone or email, we appreciate a response within 24 hours ... we expect a response within 48 hours.
Regarding deposits: If you do not respond to our communication attempts within 72 hours, it will be assumed that you are forfeiting your deposit and the hedgehog will be marked available or offered to the next buyer and your deposit will be retained.
Regarding payments other than deposits: If you do not respond to our communication attempts within 72 hours, it will be assumed that you are forfeiting the deposit portion of your payment. The amount paid minus the non-refundable $50.00 deposit amount will be refunded to you and the hedgehog will be marked available or offered to the next buyer.
We do our best to ensure that every hedgehog that leaves us is matched with a suitable owner. We would like to see every animal go to a forever home but we do understand that sometimes circumstances can leave some pet owners with no choice but to re-home or return their pet.
We REQUIRE that our buyers notify us in the event that they are unable to keep their hedgehog. We reserve the right to take the hedgehog back rather than the buyer sending it to a new owner that we have not screened.
If the hedgehog is returned to us in good health, the following section outlines our return policy.
Within 7 calendar days of purchase - 80% refund of the purchase price
8 - 14 calendar days of purchase - 65% refund of the purchase price
15 - 30 calendar days of purchase - 50% refund of the purchase price
31 - 45 calendar days of purchase - 35% refund of the purchase price
45 - 60 calendar days of purchase - 20% refund of the purchase price
After 60 days, no refund is given, but are always happy accept the hedgehog as a rescue.
Refunds are offered in cash at the return of the hedgehog. Shipping charges and delivery fees will not be refunded once those services have been provided to you.
No refund will be given for any hedgehog that is returned to us ill.
No refund will be given for any hedgehog that is returned to us injured.